Tuele Hospital

Tuesday 30 April 2019

All good things must come to an end.


It is with a heavy heart that I am writing my final post on this blog. But everything requires closure and the time is right to wrap this up.

Writing this has been a real pleasure. Whilst it has been quite a mission at times, I have genuinely enjoyed the process and have found it often therapeutic. Perhaps it is the opportunity to order my thoughts, perhaps it is the opportunity to offload. Regardless, there is also something very powerful about sharing experiences with others. Whilst my natural preference would be to talk about things over a cup of tea or a beer, I have surprised myself about how engaged with this ‘blogging thing’ I became.

There have also been several moments when it has been quite difficult to write about the things that I did write about. I have on more than one occasion felt quite vulnerable by what I was sharing. I have opened my heart and mind, which I hope has been interesting, insightful and valuable to those reading it. In doing so, my hope is that for some, reading this will inspire you to get involved in some way with Global Health. Whether it is to support projects financially, to influence policies and politics or even to go out to such places and give time / skills / education / support / care. It is so very much needed and, in my experience, welcomed. The gaps in Global Health are substantial and it is, I believe, everyone’s responsibility to help close them.

There is so much more that I could write about – things such as how LMICs are viewed and portrayed, how to best direct support for them, ways to cope doing work such as this, how to teach, how to learn, how to enjoy the time, what I have gotten out of it (loads!). But as I began to pen some of my final thoughts and conclusions to ‘paper’ I realised that I was in danger of slipping into longwinded rambling and also the potential imposition of my opinion on others. I wish to do neither. But perhaps the above ‘questions’ might be useful food for thought for all of us.



So finally, I want to say a few thank you’s. Firstly, to all of you who have taken the time to read this blog. Thanks also to those who have left comments or fed back through other media. It has meant a lot and lifted me through some of the more difficult periods.

I want to thank the Hereford Link for allowing us to piggyback on their incredible working relationship with Muheza Hospital – especially K&R without whose enthusiasm, encouragement and willingness to share, none of this would have happened. I also want to thank Hernia International, who were so very generous in sharing their incredible experience with me and enabling the development of the mesh hernia service that we did. I suspect that this project will remain one of the most personally rewarding things I will ever achieve.

I must mention the chidlers schools, who have supported them in coming and have managed to hold their places open for our return (which by all accounts has not been easy). Their UK school work kept them sane.

Clearly the staff of St Augustine’s Hospital Muheza need a huge thank you for inviting us to work with them and for being such incredible colleagues and now friends. They are such an inspiring and lovely group of people working in a very challenging environment. There is so much to admire, and I am just delighted that they were so receptive to working with us.

Thank you to all our colleagues who have supported us in a professional sense. There have been some invaluable conversations, emails and WhatsApp messaging that has supported us through some of the most challenging times.

There are many friends and members of our extended families that have offered us a tremendous amount of support. You all made this possible, so I hope that some of the pride and satisfaction that we feel in having done it can be shared by you too.

My wife is absolutely amazing and there is no doubt that I would not be where I am without her. I don’t think I can ever adequately put this into words, so for now will leave it at that. I must finally thank my children who had no choice in coming with us (and at times made this observation themselves in a very compelling fashion), who weathered the experience so very well, and I hope in time will ultimately look back on our Tanzania adventure fondly. It has been far from easy for them, but I am in no doubt though, that we have all gained from the experience considerably.



My mind is very much still processing my experience, and will I suspect for a long time to come. I am so pleased that we actually made it happen and went. It has been incredible. So very challenging, but incredible. I also believe I have become a far better surgeon for my time in Tanzania – who knew for example that I could work effectively for 5 months without ever seeing the renal function of one of my patients?!

For now we are home though and have, I think, successfully ‘plugged ourselves back into the Matrix’. There are many things to love about the UK, but many things that are worth carrying with us from Tanzania. I hope we can enjoy the best of both.

One of the real highlights of this time for me has been the extensive collaboration that I have enjoyed. It has been such a privilege to work with so many different people (many completely unexpectedly), across so many different contexts and localities. It has been truly fabulous and I look forward to all the future opportunities to continue this work and make a real difference to the lives of those who, purely by circumstance, find themselves in a less privileged position than many of us enjoy.   



Many thanks for reading.

Asante sana kwa kusoma. Nitarudi tena. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nice Blog!!! Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!!!

    Eye hospital in Vikash nagar
    Eye surgeon in Lucknow

    ReplyDelete