Tuele Hospital

Monday 4 February 2019

A mountain to climb.



Ridiculous? Brilliant? Perhaps both? Either-which-way, we are doing it. Tomorrow I am taking my 11 year old daughter to climb Mount Kilimanjaro!

Waking up in our little haven in Arusha was again delightful. Our friends have been such warm and welcoming hosts. And starting any day with a dip in the pool rates very highly in my opinion.

Raw beads
This morning I went to visit a mosquito mesh factory, one of the biggest companies in Tanzania. It was an absolutely fascinating trip. I met with the CEO of the company and discussed with them the processes involved in manufacturing the mosquito net. From beads of raw material, through to yarn being produced, quality controlled, then rolled onto spools, then weaved into nets. It was really very interesting. And I was given a tour of the factory itself.

The netting we use for the hernia repairs is very different from what they produce, but theoretically they could do it. If they had the right ‘recipe’ and specifications. It would need to be a new project and whilst some of the machines they have could be used, they would need to be set up specifically for the project. Like all things it will likely come down to money. It was never-the-less a very informative meeting and I have made some more invaluable contacts. We shall just have to see how things evolve.



Getting Kitted Ou
A quick lunch and we said our goodbyes to our friends, then made the journey back to Moshi. The mountain looked stunning and inviting today on our arrival. We met with our guides and went to get kitted out (it is -16°C at the top and we certainly did not pack for that). I was slightly worried about what they might have available, but they had everything we needed and it was very good quality. Walking boots that fit us, down jackets, warm sleeping bags… we actually needed quite a lot. I am relieved to say that we will not be carrying it all. In fact, this will be a very different experience for me in walking terms. I am used to carrying everything I need on my back. For this expedition, we just carry our day sacks, and have a team to support us. Two guides, a cook, and 7 porters! And because we have a chidler in our party, our group is just us! So we have 10 people to support the two of us getting up to the top. From the stories we have heard / read, this definitely should not be considered cheating, I think it will be really quite tough. But hopefully fun and we are both very excited.

So tomorrow we have a mountain to climb!




No comments:

Post a Comment