Tuele Hospital

Sunday 24 February 2019

Escapism



Certainly in contention
I think it is fair to say that as a family we might be reaching saturation point here in Tanzania. The chidlers certainly seem to have been worn down by the heat, lack of roaming space (it’s too hot to do very much outside most of the time), water shortages, regular power cuts and alternative schooling. We have struggled to establish any sort of consistent / acceptable routine for them, which as any parent will know is key to finding a steady path. It is also difficult as parents to challenge their complaints when they are completely reasonable! They have done brilliantly, but I think the next few weeks will require a superhuman effort from all of us to make it enjoyable. 


If we were to do this for longer, I am completely clear that we would do it differently. Certainly we would need to find a school that would be both comfortable and challenging for the children. The current arrangement has been neither and has relied heavily upon home supplementation. Far from ideal for any of us. A massively beneficial experience for them (life changing perhaps) but I think they have gotten all that they can from that for now. I think we would also need to emulate more of the ‘haven’ we found when visiting our friends in Arusha. Space and home comforts for the children would make a big difference to all of us. It is difficult to embrace the challenges of working here when you come home to a turbulent household.

Ironically, I find myself increasingly settled and comfortable in my work. Whilst a similarly experienced colleague would be extremely welcome (there is undoubtably quite a significant burden of responsibility, which although I embrace happily is also invariably quite draining), I have found my path and have created plenty of ongoing challenge to fuel my curiosity. I would be lying to say that I don’t miss my UK practice – there are many times when I long to enjoy being part of a truly world class treatment pathway (not to mention good kit!). But of course, on my return I will enjoy and appreciate such things all the more. And I hope that it is clearly apparent from my posts that I feel the work I am doing here is so very valuable. Genuinely, I think I have made more of a difference here in 5 months than I am likely ever to make in the rest of my UK career. Whilst I hope that I am good at what I do, the reality is that back in the UK if I didn’t do it, someone else equally qualified would. Here there was no one else.

So this weekend we have headed once again to The Tides in Pangani (where we spent Christmas), in the hope of recharging batteries (undoubtably escapism tactics). We managed to leave early on Friday afternoon and with the dirt roads evidently ‘serviced’ (some big machinery had restructured them, smoothed the surface and eliminated the vast majority of potholes) we made excellent time. It is beautiful here and we are very well looked after. The chidlers noticeably relax and of course the parents do to. I just hope that it is enough to see us through the next week. 
Dinner on the beach and incredible views from the bar
Perhaps we might heed the inspiration printed at the bottom of our Saturday night dinner menu:
'A winner is a dreamer who never gives up' 

My new favourite piece of art!

1 comment: