Tuele Hospital

Sunday 17 February 2019

Weekend Musings – Dreams.


Martin Luther King very famously coined the phrase ‘I have a dream’. He was referring to his vision for equal rights in relation to race, skin colour, creed.

Over the weekend we have returned to Peponi for some much-needed R&R. It is so beautiful here and the sea breeze certainly takes the edge off the heat. We are well looked after and the chidlers have a wonderful ‘playground’ to entertain them. As well as resting and learning a bit more Swahili, my mind always seems to drift into thinking mode. Many reading this may smile wryly at that statement – I am well known for being a thinker!

Time certainly flies, and it seems that our time here is rapidly accelerating. It is now little more than 6 weeks until we will be leaving. Blimey. I could self-indulgently review all the things we have already done, all the things we have achieved, and sit here with a sense of deep satisfaction. However, whilst I will certainly take all those things and enjoy them, I cannot help but think towards the future. We have come as one family and without any doubt we have made a difference to the care provided in Muheza, both during our time here and (I believe) after we have gone. But we are just one family, I am just one surgeon. And, as will be so very apparent to anyone who has followed my writings regularly, there is SO much more that could (and indeed should) be done.

Furthermore, as my naturally inquisitive nature has led me on my journey (both physical and intellectual) to unpick the healthcare system more widely here in Tanzania, the more I learn, the more I see. And the more I see, the huge potential for further work becomes quickly apparent. I confess I have dreams. I have a dream that healthcare here in Tanzania could one day be much closer to that provided in the West. And in my dream, that day is not just some abstract point in the distant future, but that it might be soon and certainly within my lifetime. It would be amazing to think that improving healthcare in countries like Tanzania could become a catalyst for healthcare improvement more widely in Africa, and indeed the rest of the world. But that is getting carried away. My dream has had to ground itself on something tangible. Certainly ambitious, but tangible.

I have met so many amazing doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers here. What they do with what they have is absolutely incredible. But they are lacking so much. So very much. They need financial support, intellectual support, educational support, moral support. They need equipment, skills and enthusiasm. They need to see a vision for the future begin to unravel and then the progress will snowball. But my dream is that they are the ones to drive the healthcare revolution in Tanzania. What I have seen in my time here is that there are many strategic initiatives from NGOs that undoubtedly improve the system, but the impact on the ground is less apparent. I have also seen lots of individuals and organisations working here, some beavering away for years, some parachuting in and out. My dream is about supporting the local teams to do it themselves, to drive this healthcare revolution forward. Sure, they will need lots of support to do this. But that is my dream.

I have given much thought to all this. My mind is awash with ideas. I find myself in a raging torrent of possibilities struggling to make sense of it all and to keep my ‘head above the water’, to keep myself breathing the air of realism. But perhaps all ‘great things’ (dare I suggest that these ideas might become such) have to start somewhere. Fortunately, I have an amazing wife who is an incredible sounding board, tempers my enthusiasm and helps direct my energies into something productive.

We have a place to start. Right here, right now, in Muheza we have a working model for mesh hernia surgery that could transform care throughout the country. It is a small cohort perhaps, for now. But hernia repair is the most common general surgical procedure carried out in Tanzania and indeed worldwide. If we can share this experience more widely in Tanzania and support the evolution from suture repair to mesh repair, then that would be a massive step forward. I have made many contacts and I have ideas. So much more work to do and I will certainly need help. But we have made a start.



“Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step towards the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.“

February 10th 1961, Martin Luther King, Jnr.

No comments:

Post a Comment