Tuele Hospital

Wednesday 13 February 2019

Letting Go


It certainly was back to Muheza with a bang yesterday. Getting off the bus, the temperature was noticeably warmer and we will once again have to get used to sweat trickling down our backs as routine (although with the arrival of the new medical students, we realise quite how well we have adapted to this). We also have another water shortage. Evidently no water came last week or this one. We have just a tiny amount left in the tank. Back to the stark reality of living here then!

It was back to work today, and I was greeted so very warmly. I am delighted to say that it really is nice to be back, even though I already knew we had a big list of patients waiting for theatre. These are mostly hernia patients suitable for mesh, which is great for the project.

Today I took things another step forward in the mesh hernia work and have offloaded the initial preparation of the mesh to the head of CSSD. Up till now, I have been cutting the mesh to size off the bolt myself, and then placing in an envelope before handing it over ready to be wrapped and sterilised. This may seem like no big deal, but I have handed over all the remaining mesh I have for now (a new consignment has been ordered) and with that gesture, I feel I am very definitely handing on responsibility for more of the project to the local team. I feel a mixture of pride in how far we have come as well as the inevitable anxiety that someone like myself will feel with such a step (most surgeons have an element of OCD). Over the next few weeks, it is my intention for the team to become increasingly independent with these operations. After all, I now only have a couple of months left.

Some more great news for the hospital is that the X-ray machine has been fixed. It does feel a bit like a successful resuscitation on an elderly care ward though – how well it will perform from now and how much longer it will last is a huge uncertainty. Of course, nothing will be done to replace it now until it does finally expire, unless someone can happen to find a retiring machine in the UK and have it shipped out?!

The hospital superintendent specifically sort me out this morning to tell me a second piece of good news – the full blood count machine that has been away in Dar es Salaam for fixing is now ready and should be back in the next few weeks. Clearly this is great news, but I confess I did not know we ever had one. I have had to be content with just a simple Hb level since arriving. But just like on the Mountain, every step forward is another step to where we want to get to. Certainty one thing that I find hugely inspiring about being here is the whole team’s constant drive to improve – sometimes they just need a little nudge, a different perspective or a some kind of ‘validation’ that it is right that they should expect more.
So in the words of the Coldplay song that has been spinning round my head for the last few days; ‘Up and up and up’! (Have a listen…..!).

No comments:

Post a Comment