Tuele Hospital

Monday 31 December 2018

A great day, but with a healthy dose of reality.



I started today on high, managing to get out for a run before breakfast and walked into the hospital full of enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the hospital meeting brought me crashing back down to reality with the daily death report which included a 12 year old girl that died over the weekend of…. well we don’t really know. She had a positive malaria test, was quite anaemic but also had a very high temperature. Probably severe malaria, but possibly another source of sepsis. With limited investigations and treatment options, what was clear to me was that her chances here were much lower than if she’d been in the UK. All very sad and sobering. Particularly when so close in age to my own children….

Giving presents always provides a healthy dose of ‘Pep-Up-Potion’ and I headed to theatres to present my Christmas offerings for the staff. I had had some theatre hats made in town for the whole team (just 18 in total!). They were delighted with them and that was certainly a boost for me. The smiles and chattering as they sifted through the various designs to choose which one they each wanted was great to watch.

It was then off for a ward round before a few other tasks, then clinic. I was quite time constrained to fit in all my various activities for the day and felt honoured by the way I was treated in such high esteem. In a somewhat professorial fashion, I was whisked around the wards, taken to see just the patients that the team considered required my review – four hernias for theatre this week (two pretty straight forward ones and two biggies), a couple of children, my long stay patient whose wound looks fantastic – still needs a bit more TLC though – and a couple of diagnostic dilemmas). I felt very well looked after and it was quite good fun actually.

I then headed off to my meeting with the pharmacist, who is responsible for ordering all medical ancillaries, not just drugs. In my bid to understand the ‘supply chain process’ for getting ‘African sutures’, I had established that this was a key individual. I believe it is important to work within the constraints of what is easily available in the hospital (rather than, for example, the adhoc supplies from UK visits), but have been desperate to find some alternative sutures. I wanted a suture that was less of a needle-stick hazard than those we are currently using to close the skin. I never imagined that this part of the operation (that is often delegated to the most junior team member for training) would ever cause me such anxiety!

I certainly learned a lot about another process I would probably never be involved in to such detail back home. Whilst many of my questions were not easily answerable through the internet portal we were using (like the cost and availability!), the fact that there were other sutures on the system was very promising. I have provided my wish list of two sutures (2/0 vicryl [the real thing and not the fake vicryl we are being forced to use in the UK!] and something that might be a monocryl equivalent). Watch this space. On the drug front, I also had the opportunity to discuss getting Tamsulosin and Finasteride in stock (good for the patients with big prostates and good for the hospital) and this looks very promising too.

I then had to pop back home to meet some of the Fundi (tradesfolk) who were there to help with some of the unresolved house ‘improvements’. A quick ten-minute job turned into over an hour of sweat, dust and toil as I ended up drilling a new hole for our gas supply to our new cooker. I have been waiting to do this for over two weeks now – the first effort done in my absence had the gas tubing sitting against the hot back of the cooker…. it started to melt. Fortunately it occluded before it exploded…. This task would have been very straight forward if I could have just popped into my own garage to get a suitable drill and drill bit…. Instead I had to struggle with a bit that was far too thin. Grrrr. But being bloody minded (as I can be at times), I eventually got the job done as I wanted it. So hopefully I can connect it all up tomorrow to have a fully functioning hybrid electric / gas cooker. Its only taken four weeks.

Whilst I did skip lunch, a quick shower and cup of tea was needed before heading off to clinic for which I was woefully late. However, I probably did in fact time it perfectly. Forty patients today and all that was left were 11 that they had saved for me. It is not often you get called special (well in a positive way), but today it happened. Whilst it may be one of those slight translational peculiarities, it certainly made my day. However, in follow up to that statement, in no uncertain terms I was told that seeing a Muzungu Surgeon was considered to be the very best possible opinion. When I laughed, the staff made it quite clear that not only was it true, they wholeheartedly agreed. Crikey, I’d never thought anyone would think like that. I have never been the type of surgeon to have a ‘god complex’, far from it in fact. Throughout my time here, I have always considered myself just another member of the team. One that has a wealth of experience not available here in Tanzania perhaps, but certainly nothing more special that that. Humbling. But I would be lying if it didn’t make me inwardly smile. And I’ll take it too. I’ll bank it and use it to help fuel my remaining time here. Of which I am sure I will find many more a challenge.
We also saw four more of the mesh patients for follow up today. They have all recovered brilliantly (including the incisional hernia repair) and are delighted with their surgery. I am delighted with their recovery! A great relief to me and a real boost to our efforts here.

So a great way to close out 2018 – I never thought I’d be here at the start of the year….

Here’s to a great 2019!

Heri ya Mwaka Mpya!

No comments:

Post a Comment