Tuele Hospital

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Safari!



I will be completely upfront in saying that I have always been a little bit of a sceptic about the idea of a Safari.

I absolutely love being outside and enjoying natures playground. Furthermore, the pull of Africa’s ‘Big Game Animals’ is a strong one. Elephants, giraffes, zebras, big cats are such a thing of wonderment and have captivated a sense of intrigue within me ever since childhood. However, as soon as something becomes a commercial venture, it becomes far less appealing to me. I could spend hundreds of words of prose unpicking this, but will resist my urge. Needless to say, when I saw the actual costs of going on Safari (even though we were already in the country) I had to stop myself from choking and just accept that we were going to do it – we had to do it after all.

I was also a little hesitant about how the children would cope. Essentially, we would be in a car for five days (3 days on actual safari plus the travel) with an 11, 9 and 5 ½ year old. Gulp!

At the end of day one, I can say that it was brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.

It was an early start this morning, up at 05.30 to be in the car for 6am. We had a 3hr journey to the first game park, factoring in a stop for breakfast. We arrived at the entrance to Tarangire Nation Park, all of us very excited. The intrigue increased as having parked up, we walked to reception to register past a number of elephant skulls! There was also a staircase around one of the giant baobab trees. 
When we returned to the car the top had gone up, transforming our mechanical steed into something that was much more fun! There is something magical about driving along with you head in the wind, being thrown about on the bumpy tracks looking around eagerly in the hope of spotting something. I shouldn’t have worried about the children, they loved it. And we were not disappointed. The scenery was stunning and the wildlife breath taking. I can’t resist posting a few photos. So many magical moments but the highlights must be a troop of elephants coming right up to the car at one point, also crossing the road; seeing some lion in the distance hunting and we got a rare close up sighting of three leopards.


Elephants, so close we could almost touch them!


Family Ostritch

Beautiful Zebra

Stunning Giraffe




Lion

Rare close-sighting of Leopard
Our very own Jerry and Zebbe in their native homeland!

No comments:

Post a Comment