Tuele Hospital

Monday 10 December 2018

Home Alone


I arrived back in Muheza last evening with the Hereford trio, dropping them off at the guest house whilst I returned to Hill View. Kate has decided to stay on in Peponi with the girls for another three nights. Whilst I miss them, it is a great decision. Peponi is a fantastic arena for them all, with lots of different places to hang out and plenty of shade. A place to really enjoy life.

I have returned somewhat refreshed and ready to tackle another week at the hospital. Being home alone is an interesting experience though. Whilst I often crave some space, peace and quiet (‘me time’!), I then usually quickly feel a bit lonely once these opportunities arise! It does however, also provide a very insightful experience. Last night I found myself thinking of friends who have travelled to remote places on their own to undertake projects. I don’t think I ever really appreciated what that must be like. Very difficult I am beginning to realise. The support of coming ‘en famille’ is not to be underestimated, and I am left with a new sense of respect for those individuals. Somehow, the word resilience doesn’t really seem to cover it!  

Never-the-less, I have made a conscious decision to make the most of this opportunity – not least to catch up on ‘paperwork’ which I am sorry to say seems to be generated wherever you are! Mesh databases, logbooks, autoclave instructions for staff, patient request slips, teaching to prepare…. to name but a few. But these are all important and thus ultimately rewarding activities. And I also get some time to sit down with a beer and enjoy reading my book!

Today has been very enjoyable clinically. The onslaught of outpatients was shared as both the Muheza Surgeons were present. A much more manageable prospect. Somehow, my room still seemed to see close to thirty patients. Hmmm. Apparently, a Muzungu opinion is much sought after. Which is flattering I guess. And whilst tiring, ultimately rewarding too. Furthermore, I saw two of my laparotomies and two mesh hernia patients for follow up. All of them are doing brilliantly. Which is a massive relief. The inevitable doubts that have taunted me ever since my needle passed through the lattice of 'cooked' mosquito mesh, plunging into flesh and joining these unlikely partners are somewhat placated. Despite all my research and good intent, was I wrong to be doing this? Was I being reckless? Would they get terrible sepsis? Would they have awful pain…..? Whilst n=2 (for two-week follow up), those two are doing great! Reassurance perhaps that we are doing the right things, and doing the right things safely.
As my writing for today comes to a close, so does the daylight. Being so close to equator is very strange to begin with because dawn and dusk happen so quickly. Light to dark takes about 20min. This evening clouds have been building, extending this transition, and possibly heralding a storm for the night. But for now they bring a deliciously refreshing and cooling breeze. The insects and animals have started their night-time chorus – zeep zeep, chirp chirp, buzz buzz, chatter chatter, screech screech (that’s the bats, of which we have thousands roosting in the trees). I am also treated to the sounds of beautiful African singing drifting over to the house from the hospital. This music feels very powerful to me, soulful, fulfilling, energising. It is the hospital choir practicing I am told. Another one of the truly beautiful things about being here in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment